Andy Dingley

Default Tinting Paste Wax

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:06:13 GMT, "Lawrence L'Hote"
wrote:

I can't say it's the best way, but I've mixed burnt siena or VanDyke brown
artist paint(oil based) with Johnson's paste wax and used it.

Just a point on artist's colours - they're not always the same.

"Van Dyke" is made from walnuts (You can buy the raw stuff in kilo
quantities from Liberon - cheap too) "Burnt sienna" is a mineral
ochre. Both of these are millenia-old pigments that are proven to be
stable over time.

But if you buy the cheapest set of paints from a local craft shop,
then you've no idea what you're getting. Many of them now contain
synthetic dyes of uncertain (or even well known) instability. This is
a serious issue with some artists and archival-grade conservators.