Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Disc drive "Laser radiation when open"

(Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

Eric Cire wrote:
I'm thinking of opening up my old Playstation 2 console as I get constant
"disc read error" and so been looking at this repair guide video and noticed
on top of the Ps2 DVD drive it says a warning "Laser radiation when open" so
my question is:

Is there any laser radiation risk when the console/drive is turned off and
unplugged?

Probably not. Before you open it up, go buy a laser disk lens cleaner,
the kind that look like a CD with a little brush on it and use it.
DO NOT!!! touch the brush with your finger. This will transfer
skin oil to the lens.

I wouldn't recommend lens cleaning discs.

It's worth the effort to open it and clean the lens manually.

The lens cleaning discs are not that likely to do any good and can do harm.

There is no danger of laser radiation when the thing is unplugged.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/