Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Disc drive "Laser radiation when open"

Eric Cire wrote:
I'm thinking of opening up my old Playstation 2 console as I get constant
"disc read error" and so been looking at this repair guide video and noticed
on top of the Ps2 DVD drive it says a warning "Laser radiation when open" so
my question is:

Is there any laser radiation risk when the console/drive is turned off and
unplugged?

Probably not. Before you open it up, go buy a laser disk lens cleaner,
the kind that look like a CD with a little brush on it and use it.
DO NOT!!! touch the brush with your finger. This will transfer
skin oil to the lens.

Geoff.