Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R. Jeff R. is offline

Default Cheap Attachment for Hydraulic Press to Flatten Soft Metal

"Will" wrote in message
I purchased a cheap hydraulic press to help flatten out warped pieces of
soft metal. Apparently the press does not come with a plate or die set.

Can someone recommend a cheap attachment for a 12 ton hydraulic press that
would work on soft metal, and I need a pressing area about eight inch by
12
inch.

What variety of soft metal are you referring to?

Copper foil?

I fear you are going to be terribly disappointed with the results.
If the metal you are flattening is narrow enough you would be far better
served with a rolling mill. Not real cheap, but much more effective.

If you persist with the press, you'll just have to fabricate two heavy
plates to fit.

....but don't expect the metal to stay flattened once you remove the 12 tons.

(Don't take my word for it. Give it a go. Then Google "rolling mill".)

--
Jeff R.