Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Wood cladding a root cellar slab and porch.

On Mar 22, 3:37*pm, mac davis wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:49:59 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

The slab of concrete in front of the front door, is also the roof of
the root cellar underneath. So it can't be removed. It is also ugly.
There is enough room from the top of the threshold to the top of the
slab to put down 1-1/2" thick wood.
Anticipated problem # 1: Water will get on top of wood, seep down
between the slab and wood, freeze, bust apart whatever holds the wood
onto the slab, etc.
Also, the current 1950's wrought iron railings are rusted off where
they entered into the concrete.
My plan was to make wooden replacements, so the whole front porch
would look like a nice deck... with new steps and all that.

Together with the new roof (on Tuesday) and new shutters (when I get
around to it) it will enhance the property and keep the tenants and
neighbours happy.

But I worry about freeze-ups on the deck/slab/floor.

I Googled my butt off and seem to be missing the right question to
ask. sooooooooooooo, if anybody here has a link or an idea, I'd
appreciate it.

TIA

I've only seen snow 3 or 4 times in my life, so I'm no expert on cold, BUT...
How about 3/4" or 1" thick porch surface with 3/4' furring strips between it and
the cement?
Would that help with drainage and freezing by adding run off/air space, or make
the problem worse?

The snow and ice would block the drainage, so, me thinks it would be
worse.

I have thought of heating the space with a rope heater.... like the
ones they use on roofs to stop ice build-up.