McQualude

Default How Do You Stay On Track During A Project (to McQualude)

charlieb spaketh...

You might check out Graham Blackburn's "Furniture by Design"
at www.blackburnbooks.com/Titles/Books.html

thanks, I'll take a look

I'm starting to think the term has more to do with the idea of
stuff designed,made and finished by one person or perhaps two
people. If that's the case, the Shakers were the most prolific
Stufio Furniture makers

LOL! Stop, or you'll have us all in the society pages.

Maybe the Studio Furniture Movement is merely a marketing technique,
intended to promote, and maybe preserve, the small furniture makers.
If that is so then more power to it.

Bingo. Maybe it's just about some guy who convinces everyone his
furniture is 'in' and manages to sell it to society's elite.

It seems you're approach is linear - start at A, the design,
and proceed through B, C, D ... and you end up with the piece
of furniture you "saw" at the end of making the plans/drawings.
Everything's defined and "done" before the first board is cut.

Thanks, but you give me too much credit. I have yet to draw plans for a
piece of furniture, a sketch is usually sufficient. I work out the major
details and proportions in my sketches and the minor details on the fly.
After the first piece, I make a detail drawing so that if I ever want to
make another it will be easier.

For me, it's an iterative, evolutionary thing which adapts
along the way.

You're approach requires far more knowledge of far more
variables/parameters/options than I'm even aware of, let
alone the skills to execute.

No, it's the same process, perhaps I go through the process consciously,
while you are moving through the process subconsciously.

But surely "telling yourself 'no' when you think 'what if'"
must have some exceptions. I personally don't think that
anyone can foresee ALL the options at the "scaled drawings"
step in the process of making furniture.

No, that's why our new dining room table is 2" shorter and 1/2" narrower
than planned! It now has a bullnose edge rather than the nice long bevel
I wanted. The tapered legs are ~1 13/16 rather than the planned 2".

--
McQualude