Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Continual cleaning v/s Self Cleaning oven Which is better?

"RC" wrote in message
news
I use to have a Self Cleaning oven and I have to say I was very happy
with it. I would put it on the Auto Clean cycle and except for having
to replace the Lock once, it worked great. I don't recall it ever
failing to clean up a mess. I wouldn't do anything except use the
auto setting once or twice a year, then MAYBE sweep out the dust.

Then I moved to a home with a Continuous Cleaning Oven.
I didn't realize that me "I" was to be continuously clean the thing.
It looked bad when I got it and though I cleaned it (per directions),
it was soon back to a mess. It looks quite bad.

My question is, "Is this the common experience, or is mine the
exception?" I would like to hear from those of you that have had
experience with both.

My mother built a house with the built in continous cleaning oven and never
was happy with it. She had a stove that was about 20 years old from the old
house that she kep in the basement for canning. After a few years the old
stove looked cleaner than the new oven. Mother was very particular about
her stove being clean and hated the new oven.

My wife and I have always had the ovens you turn on the super heat and burn
off the grease and they look much cleaner than the other ovens we have seen.

Comsumer reports give about the same report as you did. Most are just not
happy witht he continuous cleaning ovens.