Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab Bill Schwab is offline

Default Lathe on the way

Hello all,

Overlapping sales and the likelihood of more weakening of the dollar
pushed me over the edge on the Enco 12x36 geared head lathe; the spindle
is D1-4. You might recall that I got pretty close to buying the
belt-driven threaded-spindle version of the machine back in the fall.
Long story short: I just couldn't go through with it, and ended up
getting a better machine for the same (perhaps less) money than I would
have paid for the lesser one in the fall.

Presumably in a matter of days, a lift-gated truck will appear at my
curb. I am planning to use an engine hoist to lift the lathe (the
manual has pictures of how to sling it), back my F-150 under it, drive
the 50ft to the garage (it's the down-hill part that makes it fun w/o a
truck), back in enough to reach level cement, and then again use the
hoist to exchange truck bed for assembled stand. Sound about right? It
weighs around 1000 lb.

I am a little concerned about getting the hoist to straddle the pallet;
suggestions, lessons from the school of hard knocks, etc., would be
appreciated. Enco tells me it holds 3 gallons of hydraulic fluid!!!
That's on the way too. I ended up buying a a Rohm ball bearing chuck
and an arbor. It was a LOT cheaper than the Jacobs chuck that I might
eventually get (and have on an R8 arbor for my mill).

Assuming I know nothing about running a lathe (not far from the truth),
any good reading assignments? I have a couple of Audel books, but I
find them to be short on teaching: great references though. The Home
Machinist's Handbook by Brinney looks helpful.

I will probably end up doing this on my mill, but is there a good way to
face the ends of square tubing on a lathe? The pieces I have in mind
are 2" square, 1/8" wall thickness, and vary from 11 to 14 inches or so.
I assume the trick would be to make/get a rest for square tubing???
Beyond an opportunity to fiddle with the new toy, the cross-section is
too deep to easily side mill (should have thought to buy long end-mills
while I was at it), but with an R8 collet (to save vertical space) and
some cranking, my mill should do the job with a fly cutter.

Bill