Alan Bierbaum

Default How Do You Stay On Track During A Project (to McQualude)

Interesting thread. My approach varies with the project. On commercial
projects; I decide, before I start, what I am going to do, and then just do
it. This is dictated by the customer and price quoted. I correct mistakes;
otherwise the process is decided in advance. For personal projects, the
process is either the same or starts with only very general "requirements"
and is adapted/adjusted along the way.

When I built my bench; I detailed the major parts (vises, min/max
dimensions, height) in advance and then just worked with the wood on hand to
build the final product. I am a firm believer in knowing what I am going to
build, before I start; and "selecting" the wood to be used, before any
cutting starts.

--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com
Recent Project Page: http://www.calanb.com/recent.html
Workbench project: http://www.calanb.com/wbench.html

"charlieb" wrote in message
McQualude wrote:

snip

It seems you're approach is linear - start at A, the design,
and proceed through B, C, D ... and you end up with the piece
of furniture you "saw" at the end of making the plans/drawings.
Everything's defined and "done" before the first board is cut.

For me, it's an iterative, evolutionary thing which adapts
along the way.
charlie b