Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building my own shed

George wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

Would one of those "sliding" rotary saws be a good tool to cut the
timber? I'm looking for an excuse to buy one

Despite what the others have said, I cannot see the point of the
'sliding' chop saw in this case - just adds to the price, weight and
complexity of the tool, when all you want is a basic chop saw costing
£30 from Lidls, Aldis, Ebay, etc. All you need is a the most basic in
the range just to quickly cut your framing timbers at something
reasonably approaching a right angle.

I'm talking from the experience of having built two wooden sheds of
quite reasonable size. I'm also a bit doubtful about the need for the
building paper and this cladding with ply and then weatherboard - I
can see the point about the ply keeping everything square but that
seems OTT to me and just adding to the cost and complexity. Your
choice... and the paper thing does depend a bit if you are using the
shed for just storage or if you are going to live in it !

Rob

False economy is the point ie you might not think that you will ever
need a sliding compound mitre saw but those who have bought a basic
chop saw in the past will probably tell you now they wish they had
bought the sliding mitre saw because it gave more flexability,depth
and wideness of cut over the stationary fixed height and width chop
saw.

"wideness"? You made that up didn't you :-) I think 'width'.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk