Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Building my own shed

Hi Clive

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 06:15:11 -0700 (PDT), Clive
wrote:

I'm completely flabbergasted at the price being asked for sheds that
seem to me to be made out of match wood.

People are (seem) prepared to pay for the convenience of a 'pack-flat'
shed...

Is there a good book that shows clearly how to build a simple wooden
shed out of 2x2 timber and wooden tongue and groove cladding?

It's not all that difficult.
I've had some success in the past building garages & workshops like
this.... it's probably overkill - but it worked for me...

Use thin plywood (6mm) for starters. Needn't be anything fancy -
shuttering ply if you can get it or OSB... whatever's cheapest.

Cut one sheet of ply for each side and each end of the shed.
Also cut suitable pieces for the roof (either /\ or single slope.

Fix a framework of 2x2" (or maybe 2x3" for a larger structure) to the
plywood - battery drill-driver and a box of Screwfix turbo-screws. Bit
of gripfill if you really want a de-luxe job.

Arrange a base. Timber (say 3/4" shuttering ply or better - sit it on
treated fenceposts, levelled on sand and paving slabs. Lay a concrete
base if you want to make life difficult g.

Start assembling the sides - use long screws to fix the 2x2 pieces to
each other, rather than relying on the plywood to take secure fixings.

Fix the roof to the sides.

Now obtain some 'building paper' (friendly local roofers ?) - and
staple it to the outside of the plywood. Then clad the outside of the
shed with whatever timber finish you require - tongue & groove, waney
edge etc. Needn't be anything very thick - it's strong anough already.

Cover roof with Onduline - fixed to the plywood, after using more
building paper to cover the ply.

As I say - probably well over-the-top - but the ply sheets ensure that
everything starts out flat and square - and makes for a draught-proof
shed - also a very strong construction.

Would one of those "sliding" rotary saws be a good tool to cut the
timber? I'm looking for an excuse to buy one

Yes - ideal too for making sure that the 2"x2" timber has nice square
ends - likewise any timber cladding that you use.

Where could I buy simple fixed windows to fit into said structure? I'm
only interested in getting a little light into the gloom, not
fantastic ventilation.

If you use Onduline on the roof then there's matching translucent
roofing in the same profile (let light in through the roof & then you
can have shelves all round the walls g)

Alternatively - sheets of thinnish plastic / perspex etc - simply cut
to fit in-between the 2x2's and use thinner timber (say 1" x 1/2") to
frame round them.

Hope this helps
Adrian