Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Sticking Servo Power Feed Clutch?

In article ,
(Doug White) wrote:

A friend of mine has a Clausing 8520 mill with a Servo brand power feed
on the table (probably a model 140, or similar). He's put it to good use
for many years as a free-lance custom machinist working out of his home.
Lately the clutch mechanism that disengages the power feed has been
sticking. Ordinarily, when you move the power feed control lever to
center, the gears are supposed to disengage so you can use the handwheel.
I think there is a spring loaded mechanism that pops the drive pinion
down away from the big bevel gear.

Does anyone know if this is easy to fix? It could just be fossilized
lube, or it could be that the spring is busted or has taken a set. I'm
also not sure what would be involved in getting far enough into the drive
to diagnose and fix it. I suspect it may have to be removed from the
table, which is not a quick process. Parts shouldn't be a problem if he
can get it apart.

I've had my Servo clone power feed apart several times while replacing a
fried speed control pot. It was not difficult, and the operation of the
clutch mechanism is obvious when the cover is removed.

It is worthwhile to remove the unit from the mill and clamp the mounting
plate in a vice while one is disassembling the Servo unit.

Joe Gwinn