Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Sticking Servo Power Feed Clutch?

(Doug White) wrote:

A friend of mine has a Clausing 8520 mill with a Servo brand power feed
on the table (probably a model 140, or similar). He's put it to good use
for many years as a free-lance custom machinist working out of his home.
Lately the clutch mechanism that disengages the power feed has been
sticking. Ordinarily, when you move the power feed control lever to
center, the gears are supposed to disengage so you can use the handwheel.
I think there is a spring loaded mechanism that pops the drive pinion
down away from the big bevel gear.

Doug,

You might want to ask on the clausing_lathe_and_mill group on
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clausing_lathe_and_mill/

I'll take a peek inside, nasty grease, infiltration of coolant, or a broken
spring sounds like the problem. If you get too far in disassembly, take
digital photo's to mark your way in.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller