Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default The Average Cost of Sending Big Crates to a Foreign Country?

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:23:36 -0700 (PDT), Chris Tsao
wrote:

Do you know approximately how much it would cost to have a crate about
the size of a bed that weighs a couple hundred pounds sent to the
Philipines?

Or to send a crate like this halfway around the world, do you know
what the cost would come to?

If you don't know and had to guess, would it cost over two thousand
dollars?

Surface shipping? I think it will be much less than that. 500 or 300
or less? Let us know when you find out for sure.

Mew stuff or used inside?

Thank you in advance.

Don't get excited until you finish reading, and maybe not even then.

About 15 years ago, I sent about 30 cartons of books and household
goods to Switzerland. It was packed by my friend in cardboard boxes.
It covered a whole pallet and was abou 40 inches high. They
shrinkwrapped it. I think it was about 200 pounds and cost about 200
dollars, AIR freight and then all the way to her door, far less than
the price I got when I started looking around. I took everything down
to the freight section of the airport, and I realized I could have
just started by going there and going door to door for a company that
shipped things to Switzerland. (They told me they would have picked
it up at my house for 10 dollars!!!!)

Last year I wanted to ship something and I went down to the airport to
find a company that went where I wanted. The company I had used
before was gone altogether, but it turns out since 9/11, you need to
have an account with a company now. You need to be a regular shipper,
one whom they checked out I guess when you first signed up, to ship
with these companies.

They said all I would be able to use from the US was UPS, FEDEX, and
the US Postal Service.

It looks from the prior posts that they exaggerated, but maybe not.

Here's what I found in google for Freight n Crate:
http://www.freightncrate.net/profile.html
"Our clients range in size from small, to national and high profession
multinational companies" I wonder if "small" is still bigger than
you, Chris. Oren, they will still take individual shippers that
they've never met before?

The website mentions offices in the US, but doesn't give any
addresses, only an address and phone and fax and email in Bangladesh.
http://www.freightncrate.net/contact.html