Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default OT HDPE/UHMW polyethylene?

"tom (REMOVE) (Tom)" wrote in message
t...
I don't have a source for it, ned, but I do remember reading it - I
believe it has something to do with the difficulties you encounter
when UHMW is extruded.

I did experiment with UHMW myself to find out more about what I was
selling (I sell it on ebay as surplusdealdude), and I do remember
weighing a piece, heating it up and re-weighing it after it had been
pressed and cooled. It weighed less afterwards.

I worked for a company that had the capability of injection molding
UHMW. Lots of folks said it couldn't be UHMW but a major chemical
company that makes the resin tested it and said it had all the
properties of UHMW. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck

I don't think there is a problem injection molding UHMW any more than there
is HDPE. If I understand my plastic chemistry, (As a non chemist.) the
heaver density varieties of PE just have longer molecular chains. Soda
bottles are the same stuff where the molecules are crosslinked so they will
hold higher pressure without bulging.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.