Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce in Bangkok[_3_] Bruce in Bangkok[_3_] is offline

Default Union Pride

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:55:43 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

* wrote:

If it were up to me, the first thing I would go after would be the licenses
of the mechanics - union or not - who signed off and allowed these planes
to continue to fly without undergoing the required safety inspection......

Followed by their pension, life savings, homes and everything else
they own.

As far as I have read there is no claim that the inspections were
falsely "signed off". Rather, that the inspections were not done.

Maintenance or inspections of commercial or military aircraft is not a
prerogative of individual mechanics and hasn't been for 50 years or
so. It is all scheduled by a "Maintenance control" department.

Another point that doesn't seem to be a part of the reports is what
was the specified time period for the inspections to be accomplished?
Some requirements are made "before the next flight" but others are
"within the next 50 hours of flying time",or "at time of next 1,000
hour inspection".

From Scientific American - 31 Jan 08

In 2003 nearly half of all Americans falsely assumed that the U.S.
government had found solid evidence for a link between Iraq and al
Qaeda.

Nearly a quarter of Americans believed that investigators had all but
confirmed the existence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq,

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)