Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Refinish Front Porch

wrote:

Hello,

I live in a 90 year old American Foursquare and we'd like to refinish
the front porch. I'd really appreciate any advice or input, or any
info about how much of a can of worms we're opening up.

Currently, the porch is covered with a green astro-turf like carpet.
Underneath the carpet, there is a layer of what appears to be a yellow
adhesive, which is broken down and no longer sticks to the carpet.
Underneath of that, the porch was once painted gray.

I've inspected the wood and it appears to be in very good shape, both
on the surface and in the crawl space.

I've done a pretty good deal of wood-working but I must admit, since
the porch is outside I'm a little out of my league. I've also never
refinished a floor. I would assume, the procedure would involve
chemically stripping the porch, replacing damaged boards (if any),
sanding, staining, and some kind of marine polyurethane?

Does anyone have experience with such a task?

Thanks,

Jim

With the time, effort and expense of doing what you propose, it would
probably be much
more economical to rip up the old wood and put down a new floor. I have
never done
what you describe, but have refinished lots of furniture.