Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default Battery on the ground

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:54:22 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

I have heard that if you sit a battery on the ground or concrete that it
will lose its charge faster. Is this true?

Steve

There is SOME truth to the belief.
The concrete is generally colder than a wood board, causing the
battery to cool down unevenly and the acid to stratify over time. The
"heavy" acid goes to the bottom. The "light" water goes to the top.
This apparently can cause "stratification sulphation" which degrades
part of the plates much more quickly than when stored on an insulating
board. Can't find the cite right now, but it was explained by a
battery expert a few years back.

There is a reason MOST battery brackets on cars have a plastic tray
instead of mounting the battery directly on steel.
It is not as serious a problem with today's plastic cases as it was
with the old hard rubber cases, but with a large amount of our plastic
products coming from China, and the makeup of some of the plastics
being less than certain, I would not bet on it not being a problem in
the near future.