Posted to sci.electronics.repair
p.h. p.h. is offline

Default dual capstan cassette deck tape curling problem

Hi!

I have a problem with dual capstan cassette deck - some tapes get curled
just before supply capstan. It happens only during first 1-2 minutes at
the very beginning of a tape. The tape is damaged. It happens for let
say 2 out of 30 tapes. The tapes are good, there were no problems with
them for many years they were played back on various cassette decks and
players.
For some tapes there are moments they are sounding as if they were
squashed earlier, although they never have been. I have noted it on
prerecorded tapes.
Tape length seems not to influence the problem - 120 minute tape is
played back correctly.

I have tried to adjust depth of the supply pinch roller, but I was
unable to adjust it so all cassettes could be played without the problem.

The second dual capstan deck I have bought have the same problem, but
with different tapes.

Was it a common problem for dual capstan decks? What would you advise me
to do to fix it?
--
regards,
przemysław hołubowski.