Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Riding the Bevel and Grinding the Bevel

"Bob Daun" wrote in message
. net...
Enjoyed all of the "riding the bevel" things. One thing that I see very
little discussion of (and I am primarily talking about doing small bowls
12 inch diameter or less) is the typical speeds that people use for the
various operations. For example on my Jet 1442 when roughing a bowl, I
work at the slowest speed until the exterior is round (450RPM). As the
turning gets easier and everything comes into balance I find that I do
most of my work around 1200 RPM or so. If I have end grain "fuzzies" on
the surface, I have taken the speed up to 2000 RPM and use a very light
touch with a freshly honed gouge. I would just like to hear peoples
thoughts on this.

You could slow the rate of cut and get the same effect. Lots of people
think that high speed gives them better cuts. No real reason why it should,
of course, save that the tool gets a chance to burnish the wood when the
speed is fast and the feed slow. We might take a thinner bite out of
respect for the danger a high speed poses, as well.

It'd look really nice if we could use carving tools, and the piece doesn't
move at all then....