Posted to sci.electronics.repair
clifto clifto is offline

Default NAD317 Strange Oscillating PSU?

"Greg" wrote in message
Hi Tim,
Thanks for the info. This amp has been modified I guess at the
factory as it was made mid 1997. The wires were soldered to the board
& covered with hot melt glue which I think is a bad thing. I have
removed both input screened cables & replaced as a precaution.
Sadly it has made no difference to the problem.
I am checking the ground connections but I still suspect the design of
the PSU is inherently unstable. I can induce the fault by switching on
my heat gun & holding over the PSU board. I was trying to see if the
problem is heat related but it seems not.

Clifto - I don't understand your comment. I have replaced the screened
cables as described above but are you suggesting the power leads need
screening too?

(piggybacking - somehow the original never got here)

I just have objections in principle to running power through a shield braid
inside an electronic unit. It seems a cheap way to save a penny. I myself
would add a 16-gauge wire for power (ground) connection.

--
Iran tells us what the mainstream media won't:
"A new opinion poll suggests that over 54 percent of Americans do not trust