Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Fender deLuxe Hot Rod ,2002

Left to me I would have been perfectly happy leaving valve stuff back in
the
fifties and earlier.
But these musicians and HiFi nuts will keep buying the stuff and then
expect
people to repair mid 20th century technology that is unbelievably still
being made in the 21st C.

I'm very glad some of it's still being made, otherwise it would be much
harder to find tubes for vintage equipment. I'd never worked on a piece of
tube equipment before until a couple years ago when I got an old radio but I
was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to deal with, I don't see how it's
unreasonable to expect people to repair it, I was able to adapt so any real
tech ought to be able to as well. I'm under no illusion of tubes sounding
"better" but I do think they're cool, like much other old technology.