Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob Daun Bob Daun is offline

Default Riding the Bevel and Grinding the Bevel

Enjoyed all of the "riding the bevel" things. One thing that I see very
little discussion of (and I am primarily talking about doing small bowls 12
inch diameter or less) is the typical speeds that people use for the various
operations. For example on my Jet 1442 when roughing a bowl, I work at the
slowest speed until the exterior is round (450RPM). As the turning gets
easier and everything comes into balance I find that I do most of my work
around 1200 RPM or so. If I have end grain "fuzzies" on the surface, I have
taken the speed up to 2000 RPM and use a very light touch with a freshly
honed gouge. I would just like to hear peoples thoughts on this.

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
. ..
John wrote:
In message , mac davis
writes
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:20:30 GMT, John
wrote:
You got some great answers, John, and I learned form your post, so thanks
for
bringing it up..
Hell, I've been trying to ride the whole damn bevel for years, since
George
advised me too.. Now that I know what the term really means, I realize
that I'm
actually doing it right when I don't "ride the bevel"..lol

Mac, I wonder how many people never ride the bevel, just present the tool
and cut ?

I know I am probably taking a risk, but I so often find I just present
the tool at the exact angle needed and get on with it, its almost like an
inbuilt instinct for what is right. I almost have to consciously force
the tool to ride the bevel before contact. I keep saying to myself I must
do better , but it hasn't worked yet

A good example is a winged object where you spend most of the time
turning air, riding the bevel isn't easy, just slowly presenting the tool

Maybe this is why I was able to create captive rings within my first few
hours of turning back in September, and not doing one till last weekend I
created a captive ring only 1/2 inch diameter on a 1 1/2 inch tall
goblet.

I used it as a learning tool, and for safety, when I first started
turning. Now it is automatic to use the tool at the correct angle and I
don't have to slide down the bevel until it starts cutting.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I've got a mind like a.. a.. what's