Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Byrns Carl Byrns is offline

Default OT Amtrak from IL to CA (Bay Area)

"Ignoramus30927" wrote in message
Amtrak is made from metal. So there is some relevance. Anyway. My 6
year old wants to ride Amtrak from IL to CA (Chicago to Emeryville
CA) in summer.

I first dismissed the idea, but now I like it. I doubt that Amtrak
will be around for much longer, and 7 (he will be 7 by summer) is old
enough to remember, so perhaps this ride would be a memorable
experience. he may not have a chance to do it when he grows up.

My question is, has anyone tried something like this, is there enough
we can do on the train to keep this 54 hour ride interesting?

A few years ago, my cousin and I rode from Syracuse NY to Albuquerque, NM.
It is a great trip.
Get a sleeper- there is nothing like sleeping on a train and your meals will
be included. You also get access to a nicer waiting are in Union Station.
There will be plenty for a 6 year old to do- unlike a plane, kids can get up
and walk around and there will be movies in the lounge car.
The compartment will have outlets to power a laptop or other electronic
device.
Bring a disposable panoramic camera or three- you will be going through some
amazing country and Raton Pass is just jaw-dropping.

-Carl