Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default A new Fence

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
news:hI0Ej.7295$%Y2.2162@trnddc08...

"Leon" wrote:
This was about my 20th fence and practice does make perfect.

Never built a wooden fence, but sure helped my dad build some hog fences
when I was a kid.

Still remember digging all those post holes in hard clay, driving those
staples into those locust posts.

Stretching the wire tight with a manila rope fence stretcher with maybe a
4:1 purchase, one strand at a time.

I was all of maybe 8-9 at the time, but as you can see, have vivid
memories of that project.

Lew

Yeah I bet you can remember digging post holes in that clay. I have the
same problem in Houston, clay, clay, clay.
My buddy and I used a gas powered post hold digger on a previous job. To
tell you the truth IMHO the gas powered post hole digger in clay is more
work. First of all it digs a bigger hole so it requires more heavy bags of
cement to fill the holes. It is marginally faster, if you hit a root a
regular manual post hole digger is just as fast. It takes 2 men to control
and it is pretty noisy. I went back to the manual labor method. Now in
regular soil it may work much better of if the auger was on a PTO. ;~)

I suspect you did not have a staple gun for those locust posts. ;~)