Posted to uk.d-i-y
Edward W. Thompson Edward W. Thompson is offline

Default OT Older petrol cars and MPG

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:33:34 -0000, "Doki" wrote:

ARWadworth wrote:
I have just done my first fill up on a N reg 1.6 Honda Civic and it
shows a return of 27.5 MPG. This seemed a little low to me. I am sure
when I used to drive cars of a similar age I always managed a minimum
of 30 MPG and a little more on a motorway run.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the car and maybe it is me who
has got used to a diesel van that does over 40MPG for my normal
motoring.
What does anyone out there get MPG wise on their cars so I can assume
things are OK before I start looking for problems and doing un-needed
DIY work on the car?

Adam

PS The last MOT was done 2 months ago and came with the car. The fail
certificate was included and it failed on a brake light bulb (LAMP in
my opinion)

Everyone elses MPG seems a bit horrific. Golf MK2 GTI does around 35-50
depending how I drive it. Even thrashing around at 95 it manages over 30mpg.
Citroen ZX 1.9D with a binding caliper does about 44mpg or 40mpg depending
who's driving it... OTOH I often find that I get poorer economy in smaller
engined cars as I tend to want to make the little engine move the car as
fast as a big one would easily manage.

For what its worth my 02 reg Civic is at 45.2 mpg over 35,000 miles.
Clearly fuel consumption is very dependent upon how and where the car
is driven but 27.5 mpg for a Civic seems very low unless it is being
driven 'hard' in town at all times.