Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default spring water tests

jim wrote:
possibly OT but I intend to DIY the follow-on system so:-

Anyone know what I should expect to pay for a laboratory drinking
water anaylsis on our spring water? Seems we have acidity and Iron at
the least........
NB We're in West Yorks.

Spring water is different from well water. Springs can be shallow and
subject to variable quality as a result. This is particularly relevant for
bugs, coliforms and E Coli are the standard indicator organisms. A one-off
test on a spring is just that - the water quality was what it was at the
time of the test.

if the spring is shallow beneath grazing land then bugs from cattle and
sheep could be an issue.

Also, looking at the chemical aspects, nitrates could be an issue.pH is
usually undertaken as a standard test. Really more details of the situation
are required before one can recommend a suite of analysis. Only then can the
cost be estimated.

I can't recall now whether it was W Yorks or S Yorks EHOs that used to be
quite well informed about the quality of private supplies in their areas.
Has your supply ever been tested by the local Authority EHO. They are
responsible for this.