Robert Bonomi

Default Building Insulated Windows

In article ,
Zach Tomas wrote:

Myself and LOML are getting ready to build a house. I realize that
when most people say that they mean that their contracter is building
one for them.

I mean we are building it ourselves - basement, foundation, framing,
roof, the works.

She may be wanting some interesting windows and I'm not in the mood to
pay some of the highway robbery prices. Now, building windows is no
trick, but here it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I
don't want to lose a bunch of energy through the glass.

Double pane windows are also nothing trick to put together. Shoot,
even the mini-blinds between the panes type that are popular shouldn't
be too difficult.

What I am concerned about is the fogging and water between the panes
from condensation.

I have considered:

a. Assembling them inside a sealed box purged with nitrogen.
(with gloves attached to arm holes)

b. Making the inside pane hinged for periodic opening/drying.

c. Attaching a fitting, tubing that runs to the attic, and tire
valve at the end. Once a year, go to the attic and recharge
the windows with nitrogen or CO2.

d. I am just nuts to begin with. (Make that "eccentric")

Not more than about 80% so. grin

FORGET item (b) -- _any_ time you open it, all you'll be doing is letting
in 'warm and damp' air.

There are two approaches:
1) *vent* the inter-pane space to the exterior.
2) build the pane assembly *air*tight* and *moisture*proof*, with
appropriately low water-content in the inter-pane space.

The drawbacks to #1 are obvious.

#2 poses _significant_ construction difficulties.

"Thermo-pane"(TM) type windows have two layers of glass (with a vacuum or
an inert gas -- nitrogen or argon -- between them), with the edge _sealed_
with a metallic (usually lead -- similar to stained-glass window construction)
barrier.

Getting the seal air-tight, and that *stays* air-tight for many years, is a
definitely 'non-trivial' job.

Anything that is _not_ absolutely "air tight" means that 'whatever' is in
between the panes can get out, *and* that moisture can _get_in_.

Your (c) _might_ be the basis for "a plan". replace the 'once a year' refill
idea with a continuous low-pressure supply.