Greg DeBacker

Default Compound Mitre or TS

"HarryM" wrote in message ...
If you have a Lowe's nearby, check the Delta MS350. I got one three weeks
ago for $139 and it is doing a good job with compound miters. The stock
blade was pretty good, but rather thin. I added a Forrest Chopmaster blade
and the cuts are smooth enough that no sanding is needed. I have a table
saw, but this is much faster and I am getting more precise cuts. harrym

"Greg DeBacker" wrote in message
m...
I'm going to be putting up some 1X3 crown molding. I'm going to be
making about 40 - 90 degree compound mitre corners. Someone told me I
could do it on my table saw and I guess you could by tilting the blade
and using the mitre gauge. I'm wondering if I should attempt this on
my table saw or buy a compund mitre saw.

I'm not in the trades but I do do a fair bit of wood working latly
working on my home. Becuase this is a tool which will probably sit in
the garage with long periods of non use it is difficult for me to
justify a $400.00+ pro mitre saw. I was at Sears and I saw a 10 inch
(I think) compound mitre saw with laser guide for $199.00. I didn't
catch the modle number. It is going on sale for $189.00 this weekend.
This is an amount I feel comfortable with if it will make the job that
much easier.

So the question is, will I butcher a lot of wood and pull all my hair
out with the TS, or should I get the mitre saw? Also, as I'm sure the
Craftsman is not the best saw in the world, is it an absolute piece of
crap? Anoth alternative is to rent a very nice, top of the line mitre
saw.

Any thoughts on this?

Greg

Thanks for the feedback, both of you. The crown molding is going under
the outside window sills on an old Victorian home. It's not like I'm
making picture frames that are going to be on a wall in my living room
where everyone will see them up close. I think I'll try on the table
saw first (window upstairs on the back of the house). If it is a real
bitch I'll try a rental.

Thanks,

Greg