Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob[_10_] Rob[_10_] is offline

Default OT Older petrol cars and MPG

Doki wrote:
Tim.. wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message
ARWadworth wrote:
I have just done my first fill up on a N reg 1.6 Honda Civic and it
shows a return of 27.5 MPG. This seemed a little low to me. I am
sure when I used to drive cars of a similar age I always managed a
minimum of 30 MPG and a little more on a motorway run.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the car and maybe it is me who
has got used to a diesel van that does over 40MPG for my normal
motoring. What does anyone out there get MPG wise on their cars so I
can
assume things are OK before I start looking for problems and doing
un-needed DIY work on the car?

37mpg over 1500 miles - 1989 Golf GTI.

Those 1.8 digifant GTi's are stupidly good on fuel when running 'just
nice'.

Brilliant little beasts. The valve stem seals could do with doing on
mine though, so it's 20V turbo time .

I recently returned to the fold after a couple of years with a 20v Seat
Leon Cupra - very swish :-)

That never seemed to go below 35mpg.