Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadworth ARWadworth is offline

Default OT Older petrol cars and MPG

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

"ARWadworth" wrote in message
I have just done my first fill up on a N reg 1.6 Honda Civic and it shows
a return of 27.5 MPG.

I wouldn't have a lot of faith in the figures from a single fill-up,
unless you measured the levels with a dip stick. Fuel gauges are not
exactly the most accurate devices around and fuel pumps vary in
sensititivity, so the auto cut-off does not gve a reliable indication. The
problem is exacerbated if the refill volume is not very large, In the days
before trip computers, I would always wait until I had data from four or
five refills before calculating the consumption. Now I have one, it can
predict anything from around 320 miles to a record 510 miles from a full
tank, depening how I have been driving prior to the refill.

This seemed a little low to me. I am sure when I used to drive cars of a
similar age I always managed a minimum of 30 MPG and a little more on a
motorway run....

A good point. The girlfriend filled it up when we got it on Friday morning
and I filled it up Sunday. We had used about 3/4 of a tank with roughly 50%
motorway driving. I wonder if she put the pump back after the first knock
off. It is a small tank and if I have put an extra 3.5 litres in on my fill
up than she did then we would be at the 30MPG mark. I will give another four
of fill ups and do an overall calculation.

Adam