Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default OT Older petrol cars and MPG

"ARWadworth" wrote in message
I have just done my first fill up on a N reg 1.6 Honda Civic and it shows a
return of 27.5 MPG.

I wouldn't have a lot of faith in the figures from a single fill-up, unless
you measured the levels with a dip stick. Fuel gauges are not exactly the
most accurate devices around and fuel pumps vary in sensititivity, so the
auto cut-off does not gve a reliable indication. The problem is exacerbated
if the refill volume is not very large, In the days before trip computers, I
would always wait until I had data from four or five refills before
calculating the consumption. Now I have one, it can predict anything from
around 320 miles to a record 510 miles from a full tank, depening how I have
been driving prior to the refill.

This seemed a little low to me. I am sure when I used to drive cars of a
similar age I always managed a minimum of 30 MPG and a little more on a
motorway run....

Our 1.6 litre Triumph Vitesse usually came out at around 25 mpg from new,
but that was an older design and was driven hard.

Colin Bignell