Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default OT HDPE/UHMW polyethylene?

"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

A second idea might be to get a 1/4 inch sheet larger than the
whole board, remove the axel trucks and form the PE over the
bottom of the board. When cool, trim the edge level with the top
of the board, drill holes for the trucks and screw them back on.
This will make the whole bottom of the board a skid plate. It
will add some weight however so doing the board flipping stuff
will be a little trickier and when you bash your shins there will
be more mass to impart a bigger bruise.

I'd probably wear shin guards.

Not that it matters, but I'm making a very small skid plate for
in-line skates, not for a skateboard. The front 80 mm wheel will be
replaced with a 125 mm wheel. That leaves a little more distance
between the front wheel and the second wheel, and I want a stopgap
between those two wheels so the second wheel doesn't get caught up
on stuff the big first wheel rolls over. After an obstruction gets
beyond the first two or three wheels, it's no longer a major hazard.

Without the skid plate, it will look like this but with a bigger
front wheel.

Subject: in-line skate big front wheel
Newsgroups: alt.binaries.phish

Good luck.