Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Older petrol cars and MPG

In article ,
Tim.. wrote:

"ARWadworth" wrote in message
I have just done my first fill up on a N reg 1.6 Honda Civic and it
shows a return of 27.5 MPG. This seemed a little low to me. I am sure
when I used to drive cars of a similar age I always managed a minimum
of 30 MPG and a little more on a motorway run.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the car and maybe it is me who
has got used to a diesel van that does over 40MPG for my normal
motoring.

Something is wrong with it. Those little 1.4/1.5/1.6 vtec-e's are very
efficient and should do 40mpg in mixed use easily!!

Autocar's own figures for a new 1.6 Civic give 35 overall and 43 touring.
And they're usually pretty heavy footed for the overall one. Of course
this is for a recent model - an older one could have lots of differences.

Tim.

--
*Middle age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.