Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default OT Older petrol cars and MPG

ARWadworth wrote:
I have just done my first fill up on a N reg 1.6 Honda Civic and it
shows a return of 27.5 MPG. This seemed a little low to me. I am sure
when I used to drive cars of a similar age I always managed a minimum
of 30 MPG and a little more on a motorway run.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the car and maybe it is me who
has got used to a diesel van that does over 40MPG for my normal
motoring.
What does anyone out there get MPG wise on their cars so I can assume
things are OK before I start looking for problems and doing un-needed
DIY work on the car?

Adam

PS The last MOT was done 2 months ago and came with the car. The fail
certificate was included and it failed on a brake light bulb (LAMP in
my opinion)

Seems rather low to me. I am fastidious in logging all my fuel consumption
and averaging my mileage over the whole period of ownership of the car.
Until permanently modified by a young son, I was doing 36/37 in an M reg.
1.6 petrol Fiesta, circa 100 miles a day on motorways. We still have a 1.4
306 which is used mainly locally which does 35 mpg. Both cars were
"distress" purchases rather than chosen. My regular motor, 51 Focus Ford
diesel does 52 mpg and used for mostly motorway work, roughly 70 miles a
day. Wife's new 206cc diesel (07) seems to be doing 52/53 mpg mixed local
and distance journeys but too soon to tell - only 3.3k miles.

Previous workhorses: Focus diesel estate 51 mpg; Rover 400SDi 50 mpg and two
Fiesta diesel 49.9 and 50.1 mpg.

Son's Honda CRX (1.6) which might be more applicable: L reg. imported second
hand from Japan (90,000 km.) doing circa 35 mpg.