Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Picture Sizes

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote

The savvy, informed computer user operates the OS upon which his chosen
software runs best, and knows better than to diss someone else's
experienced
based choice.

I do a lot of graphics (and data) intensive applications on multiple
monitors. Not only do some programs require a specific operating system,

but
some of them will not work on certain CPU's. This creates some real
complications when buy/upgrading computers. It can real complicated when

you
update or change software.

I have tried to emulate certain graphic computer configerations. My track
record there is about 50/50. Any big machine that I or my clients need

will
go to an expert that tests this stuff out constantly in their shop.
Needless to say, anything that Microsoft or the graphic card vendors have

say on this topic is totally non applicable for extreme applications like
this.

You have to go with what works. And in many cases, it boils down to trial
and error. You keep trying until you find something that works. Reminds

me
of electroncs school many years ago. My digital teacher basically told us
that you just keep at it until you make it work. Pure tenacity can solve
many problems. It may not be high tech or sophisticated, but it gets the

job
done.

Know the feeling all too well. Recently shut down 4 public DNS servers,
running NT4, because that particular OS was the only one which would run
the version of BIND that the underlying system software was written for ...
a security nightmare of gigantic proportions, as those servers were attacked
thousands of times a day and little could be done about it because of lack
of security updates. I got utterly sick of 'formatting and reinstalling'
four servers on a weekly, sometimes daily basis to get rid of malicious
software, not to mention the risk to the rest of the network.

Operator of servers that must be exposed, more or less, to such exploits are
pawns in a little known war that has been going on for years with China and
Russia, and that you are only now starting to hear about in the media the
last couple of years.

My frame of mind took a decided turn for the better when that nightmare was
a thing of the past.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08