Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Air compressor suitability?

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 05:43:21 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have zero experience with air compressors, but could use one and a
local store has one on sale with attachments.

I have just about a years worth- so I remember most of my
dis-appointments and where it exceeded my expectations.

The specs a
8 gallon, 1.3 hp running, 125 max psi, 4.5 scfm@40 psi, 3.7 scfm@90
psi.

Mine is a cheap Harbor Freight job- $150 on sale- 4HP/10gallons, uses
oil, about 7cf@40psi & 4.5 at 115.

Plenty for even a framing nailer for my use- but I don't know if it
would keep up with my brothers in law who are framers. [my framer is a
Porter Cable- the finish nailer is a name brand- the brad nailer was a
$10 special from HF- works fine.]

I've used a cheap HVLP paint sprayer- and it barely kept up--- but it
*did* keep up.

It's too slow to really keep up with the gravity feed sand blaster I
got-- but it allows me to empty the hopper-- then I refill, pause a
minute or two, and repeat. Not big on production- but does the
job.

Coolest tool is a $10 air hammer-- the chisels work great for
splitting bricks-

Air shears work OK.

I've tried 3 different cheap die grinders & air cutters. Not enough
CFM, though the specs on the tools were below 4.5. Remember that
the tool makers say less, and your compressor is probably optimistic.

One other thing on that Harbor freight compressor. I used whatever
oil they sold there. Next time I'll go for a lighter weight
synthetic. When it is below 50 degrees the compressor won't start.
I"ve moved it to the basement for the winter- but I'll see if an oil
change and 'running it in' can get over that.

Jim