Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Vaseline on coax connection?

Slop a lot of silicone bath tub seal goop all over it.
cuhulin

Might or might not be a good idea.

Some silicone sealant (the cheaper stuff) contains acetic acid, and
(naturally) smells like vinegar. Using this as a seal for coax
connections is a very good recipe for corrosion, as some of the acid
will diffuse into the connector's airspaces as the sealant cures.

"Neutral cure" silicone sealants are a better bet. The best are
specifically rated for electronics use (and cost quite a bit).
Consumer-type sealants that are stated to be noncorrosive, or
advertised for use on metal are probably safe for use on connectors.

Using silicone sealant directly on the connectors pretty much
guarantees a semi-permanent, almost-impossible-to-repair-or-change
joint. It's a real bear to cut it open and pick all of the bits out
of the threads. Overwrapping the joint with tape, first, and then
gooping over the tape and out onto the coax itself should be just as
secure, and far easier to re-open at a later time. Either
self-amalgamating rubber tape, or plumber's Teflon thread-tape could
be used.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO