Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default OT Older petrol cars and MPG

ARWadworth wrote:
I have just done my first fill up on a N reg 1.6 Honda Civic and it
shows a return of 27.5 MPG. This seemed a little low to me. I am sure
when I used to drive cars of a similar age I always managed a minimum
of 30 MPG and a little more on a motorway run.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the car and maybe it is me who
has got used to a diesel van that does over 40MPG for my normal
motoring.
What does anyone out there get MPG wise on their cars so I can assume
things are OK before I start looking for problems and doing un-needed
DIY work on the car?

That sounds a bit low to me.
My car is a VW Passat and they are known as gas guzzlers....around town I
get 30MPG, on a M-Way @ 56-60mph I get 43.3mpg, which is ****poor in the
grand scheme of things - I would expect a car that size to get easily 35-40
around town and 50+ on a M-way.