Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
Donna Ohl Donna Ohl is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:05:36 GMT, James Sweet wrote:

It's always nice when someone can figure this stuff out and posted advice is
useful. It's a change from the common response of "I'll just buy a new one".

Hi James,

Thanks. I go to a lot of trouble to respond and to take pictures and to
post what happened, even with my mistakes (like not knowing the water would
shoot all over the place in the air gap or solonoid!).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2337210324/

The amount of sand in the water was astoundingly large!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2337210334/

I would think we should probably clean these things out every year or so if
it weren't such a pain to put the solonoid back together. The six bolts to
remove it are easy enough to remove but to put it all back together with
the rubber gasket and wire mesh screen is a pain. I accidentally let the
screen fall out and ended up having to remove it a second time after
testing that it worked.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2337214312/

I would never have had the courage to try this unless you guys had advised
me so I really hope that this will help the next person who reads this.

The two things I have left a
- How to repair the rusted white wires inside the dishwasher that got
rusted while it sat with bleach in it (to kill the mold) for the past few
weeks. http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2337210340/

- How to unclog the bathtub where I can't figure out WHERE the filter is!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2279157295/

Donna