Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Power Conditioners Necessary?

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 23:31:03 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

When I was going to kollege in the 1960's, I worked for Federated
selling hi-fi on commission. It didn't take long to notice that the
commission on speakers and accessories was much higher than the
commission on stereos and tuners. So, I sold speakers. I would
connect a really cheapo 6 transistor AM/FM portable radio to the best
speakers on the floor. The customers would walk in and eventually ask
which tuner was playing, I would pull out the cheapo radio by the
leads from behind the speaker and explain that it's the speaker that
makes the sounds, not the electronics.

Absolutely. I noticed that myself in college, also in the 60's. It's
pretty amazing, and it's why for example, I usually have my cheap
little tv's with a better speaker plugged in.

When I had NO money, no space, and couldn't afford even cheap hi-fi
equipement, I also used to use the 3 inch carboard tube speaker, about
12 inches long, gold color with plastic grills at the ends, if you
remember them. I should still have that somewhere.

I sold quite a few expensive
speakers and cheap tuners that way. Don't waste your money on foam
rubber band-aids. Get a decent speaker system.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)