Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger_N[_2_] Roger_N[_2_] is offline

Default Homemade Screwdrivers?

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
RogerN Sez: "Hey, I need to justify my CNC lathe and mill somehow!!!
:-)"

If you have to inquire about such a fundamental premise as the metallurgy
of screwdrivers, I'm not
sure you are ready for CNC yet.

Bob (still learning manual) Swinney

Since I don't know the fundamentals, would I be better off using W1, O1, A2,
D2, S7, or other steel? What difference in strenght would be obtained by
forging vs machining? What Rockwell hardness is borderline between bending
vs breaking?

I never had any formal education in metal working, I woked at a shop for a
couple of years using manual machines in the 1980's. Other than that it's
just been hobby type stuff with a few paying home machining jobs here and
there.

My home machine shop consists of a manual South Bend 13 X 54 lathe, an
Anilam Yam 14 X 22 CNC lathe (converted to EMC control), an Enco manual knee
mill, a Anilam Bridgeport CNC mill, and a KempSmith horizontal mill with a
Bridgeport head on the overarm, plus saws, press, welders, drill press, &
grinders...

RogerN