Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Edwards Richard Edwards is offline

Default Homemade Screwdrivers?

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 07:15:06 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:57:09 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

"Roger_N" wrote:

I've been needing some good electrical terminal block screwdrivers and was
wondering if I could make some better than the ones you buy.

I'd like to find a decent screwdriver designed to fit these idiotic half
phillips half straight screws on many IEC contactors.

I always try a #2 phillips first, then a #1 if that doesn't fit
perfectly, and I don't recall ever having a problem. I also get a
good, heavy contact with it at a perfect 90 degrees before I attempt
to remove a terminal screw. They're usually -very- tight.

With blade screw heads, I've never found a perfect fitting screwdriver
tip. All my blade headed screws are replaced by phillips, square, or
Torx heads wherever possible.

Q: Does anyone here NOT have a scar to show from an old blade
screwdriver wound? (I didn't think so.)

Found out once that many Japanese cross-point screwheads are NOT
Phillips, or Pozidrive but something different. I bought a Japanese
screwdriver for PLC screw heads and never looked back!
Re flat blade drivers, lookout for the WERA range which are serrated
on the tip. Excellent bite to the screw. They do not work as well
after being touched up on the grinder though G

Working on a boat the other day and was annoyed to hear the continual
ratcheting of an electric driver bit in a screw head. In the end I got
so peed off I took a look at what the customer was using. Well worn #1
Phillips bit driving a #2 Pozidrive screw. Explained the difference
over a coffee and suggested that they buy the correct bits. He and his
wife are now screwing with cries of delight not frustration!

--

Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!