Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Don't upset the inspector

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message

S. Barker writes:

ANY work not seen from the outside would be stupid to fool with a
permit and inspections. Just asking for more trouble and work and
expense.

Until your neighbors rat you out.

Ever been to Home Depot or Lowes? What do you think the Town Hall office
would look like the next day when everyone there is applying for a permit?

Any work done should be according to code for safety reasons, but minor
work, the town has no business getting involved.

Our codes seem to be framed with the "let idiots kill themselves but not
anyone else" mind. One
can build their own home, but not rent it out for a year. Can't do
structural work in a multi-family
without permit. All elect., gas and plumbing requires a permit. Makes
perfect sense to me, especially
since I have seen what idiots can do in the way of remodeling. We have
had great luck with the
contractors we have had contact with - the roofer had a crew that didn't
nail shingles on right, but
the contractor was perfectly willing to do what it took to make it
right. Paint, seawall, tile, kitchen
cabinets, electrician - all have been great to work with and done almost
flawless work. Couple
of issues with kitchen re-do were handled without problem. It also
helps to educate yourself
and know how it should be done; intelligent questions might help keep
them on their toes.