Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Power Conditioners Necessary?

wrote in message ...
Jocelyn Major wrote:

Sometime changing cheap cables can make a difference; I explain: where I
leave everytime I listen to my hifi equipment I pickup noise from an
Indian radio station (this is worst if I try to listen to LP). All this
stop when I change these cheap cable for 1 monster cable (that I got on
sale at 20$) and 1 "high-end" cable that I got from RadioShack on sale at
10$. Also for the conditioner I compare a Monster HTS-1000 (retail 280$
in Canada) with a PURE AV ISO 4720J (50$ on sales at the Source) and the
PURE AV ISO 4720J was way better than the monster. True I could not hear
audio difference except when listening to LP where the sound became more
define with a bit more depth (when I say a bit more it is really a bit
more is subtle but really there is a difference. By the way I tried a
cheap power bar, the monster way to expensive and the pure A/V. While I
could not find any difference between the el-cheapo powerbar and the
monster there was a difference with the Pure A/V. So yes there is no real
advantage to go with a high price Conditioner there is one with the Pure
A/V (Beside the 12" power cord and the 10 power outlet)

Jocelyn
Proud Son of Leo Major DCM & Nar
To know why I am so Proud go the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Major

If you're picking up a radio station via your "phono" connection (or any
other connection NOT connected to a tuner), that typically indicates
corrosion at the connector. Of course, changing the cable/wire would
eliminate one possible source of the corrosion (the other being the
connector itself). Thus by reducing or eliminating corrosion at the
connection, you remove the ability to pick up the RF signal. Kind of like
an accidental "crystal set". (Anybody around here old enough to remember
those?)

In general, I'd agree with you, but it ain't quite always the case. Many
years ago, when I was a young apprentice in the TV repair business, we used
to have endless problems with a very high powered AM BBC transmitter at a
place called Daventry. As I recall, it was 200kW during the daylight hours,
and 470kW at night. We had instances of radio pickup on new systems. This
could often be cured by making up new interconnects using better twin
screened cable. My college lecturer told me that what was happening was that
a very strong RF signal was being picked up on the interconnects, and with
the high bandwidth of 'modern' transistorised amplifiers, was causing
saturation of the input preamps, driving them into non linearity, and
causing them to behave as a detector, similar to the old 'anode bend
detector' used in some old valve (tube) radio sets. The demodulated signal
thus appearing at the collectors of the preamp transistors, then went on to
be amplified as a normal audio signal.

As others have stated, the 'esoteric' advantages claimed for these cables,
just would not stand up to double blind testing, but that's not to say that
cables never have an effect on anything. Here in the UK, we use an
interconnect system between video equipment, called scart. If you use a
'pound shop' cable in some situations, you can get video edge ringing, and
even ghost images floating about from other equipment that's in the chain,
and set to a different channel. This is totally cured (usually!) by fitting
a good quality and much more expensive cable. It may look the same from the
outside as the cheapo, but internally, the cores are individually screened
before the overall screen. The cable chosen to be carrying the video signals
is also low capacitance.

A friend of my son's used to work in one of the electrical barns during his
college holidays, and he was taught to push the Monster cables purely
because of the profit margins for the store, and the commission rates for
himself ,,,

Arfa