Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] dmcrisp@gmail.com is offline

Default bridgeport HELP PLEASE!!

On Mar 15, 8:48 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

R6 shows as 47 Megaohms on my schematic.

22 Megohm is the highest standard value. Anything higher is either
special order, or made from a group of lower values.

You could plug a 47 Meg Ohm resistor into the wall socket all
day and it would never burn up, even on the 230 V European
mains. So, the 47 MOhm value must be from a different circuit
assembly than the original poster has. (Might also be 4.7
MOhm.)

Or even .47 Megohm, if the person doing the drawing didn't know the
difference.

I'm guessing this is a manual mill with a power feed
with a variable-speed control on a DC motor. I think Bridgeport
did make one of these under their own label, but a real pupular
one is the "Servo" brand, too. So, maybe we need to be sure we
know the brand of the power feed unit.

Jon

A 47 meg custom resistor would cost 10 or more times the cost of two
22 meg and a 3 meg resistor 47 and 66 Meg were used in early color TVs
in the focus circuit. They cost about $5 wholesale, and half watt 5%
resistors were a few cents each. The only reason the custom parts were
used was the high voltage would break down the housing and arc over or
set it on fire.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Hi Fellas,

Looks like an interesting conversation. I wish I knew what you were
talking about so I could help out. Tomorrow I will ask the owner of
the mill what the brand name of the power feel unit is so I can offer
up more info. Is there any other pertinent information that I can
forward to help with the discussion?

I sincerely appreciate all the dialog and interest in resolving this
problem.

Thanks,

Darren