Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Machine shop estimating help, please?

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 23:03:23 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

You might also want to consider the consequences of setting a precedent.
If you say $50 is "fair", the next time it may be expected that $50
will still be fair. I don't now how you feel about repeat business, but
you might want to get across whether the $50 is a one-time as-a-favor
price that probably wouldn't be repeated, or is a price that you would
normally charge.

Bob

Good point.

I think this will be a one-shot deal. If there is follow-on then I'll
ask Pat to tell the contractor that I'd like to negotiate terms up
front and let him know that he might want to shop it locally. That
might be a good thing for him to do. There must be machineshops in
the Naples /Ft. Meyers area.