Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default Budget

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:27:14 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Clot wrote:
This would effect business users most and put up the cost of virtually
everything - including those goods bought by non car owners. Is that
what you want?

I agree with what you are saying but are we not having a lot of
unnecessary transport anyway which could be reduced. The cost of spuds
goes up at Tosca due to being transported to a "central depot" for
washing and bagging before being returned to a store near you? Might
make farm markets and local shops more competitive. My view is that we
should be buying more seasonal goods and not freighting in food from
Kenya/ Honduras or wherever.

Agreed. Now taxing aviation fuel in the same way as the road variety would
be a very good move.

If you want cheap airlines stopping off in Nigeria or Chad to fill up
tax free, that is. Or flying on the vapour in their tanks to get to a
dodgy ****ehole of a fuel stop in a desert somewhere.

Hmmm, wonder whatever did cause both engines to stop simultaneously on
the BA Boeing inbound from Peking ? 2 engines, 2 furl tanks not empty,
2 fuel pumps damaged by cavitation (sucking at air), and all
independant.

DG