Andy Dingley

Default Stationary planers - fixed head or fixed table?

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:27:57 GMT, Steve Turner
wrote:

I've been thinking about dispensing with my portable planer and moving
up to one of the larger stationary models, probably a 15 inch.

I'm very unimpressed with these. It probably varies between brands,
but the combination of feature-competition on the "suitcase" models
and cost-reduction on the cast iron 15" four-posts means that there's
little between them now.

I'm using a £400 suitcase and have already refused a few modern
Taiwanese four-posts. When I do upgrade it, it's going to be to a S/H
Wadkin or similar, costing best part of £1000. I just don't think
there's anything in the middle worth having.