Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Vaseline on coax connection?

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 22:18:23 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

'Gelled' underground coax is filled with silicon,

I call it "slime". Ma Bell uses it for all their outdoor splices.
Once transferred to the hands, it gets onto everything and is
difficult to remove. I think they used the same formula in the Steve
McQueen movie "The Blob". The only difference is that the blob was
black. Otherwise, they act the same.

Even more insidious is gel filled CAT5. It just keeps oozing and
oozing out. I usually terminate gel filled CAT5 to a patch panel or
intermediate RJ45 splice (to a CAT5 patch cable). If I plugged the
gel smeared connector directly into the network hardware, I would have
slimy gel all over everything.

and no matter what
you do, it will weep from the joint and stain carpets, floors and
walls.

Yep. However, my guess(tm) is that the OP was planning to do this
outdoors, where corrosion and water incursion are common problems. It
usually doesn't rain indoors and there are few homes with corrosive
atmospheres. I think he's safe forgetting about the lube job if used
indoors.

Vaseline will do the same thing, but if he OP wants greasy
stains that are highly flammable, that's his choice. Who knows? The
arson inspector may even miss it after a fire.

Been there. No Vaseline required to torch a tower:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/monopoleBurn.html
http://odessaoffice.com/wireless/priceless.jpg
Hint: Don't try to enlarge the hole in the antenna mast with a
cutting torch. Coax cable and CAT5 are highly flammable.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D